What does 'RSA' stand for?

'RSA' stands for 'Responsible Service of Alcohol'.

Is RSA Training mandatory?

Responsible Service of Alcohol training is mandatory throughout Australia. If you are in any way involved in the sale, supply or service of alcohol in any state or territory within Australia, you must have a completed an accredited RSA training unit, preferably through an approved RSA training provider and RTO such as Hospitality Alliance Training. 

Is this RSA certificate only for this state or can it be recognised in other states as well?

By choosing to do the RSA course online with us, you will be conducting a nationally recognised training unit. This means that the certificate that you receive from us will be recognised in every state and territory in Australia.

But remember, they are only recognising that you have completed sufficent training to be able to serve alcohol responsibly. You may need to complete further training and satisfy other requirements before you are able to work in that state or territory (for example, in New South Wales you are required to have a competency card).  Check with the relevant State or Territory Liquor Authority for more information. 

Can you take home unfinished wine when purchased ancillary to a meal

Response | RGL Form June 2014

There appears to be some confusion among some licensees regarding the removal of unfinished wine from the premises when purchased ancillary to a meal. Essentially, a person who purchases a bottle of wine ancillary to a meal at a licensed venue is permitted to take the unconsumed portion of that wine away with them on completion of their meal.
For example: A person buys a bottle of wine at a local licensed venue where she has gone to eat. She only consumes one glass of wine with her meal. When she is ready to leave, she can lawfully take the unfinished bottle with her. However, this is only the case when customers purchase the liquor ancillary to a meal. For instance, if a person purchases a bottle of wine in a tavern or hotel without ordering a meal, they are not permitted to remove the unfinished portion from the premises.
Similarly, in licensed restaurants that are permitted to serve liquor without a meal (that is, the licensee holds a Liquor Without a Meal permit), a customer cannot remove the unfinished portion of the purchased wine unless they also bought a meal. This is because the Act states that unfinished liquor can only be removed from the premises when it is purchased ancillary to a meal.
Quite obviously, wine purchased under such a permit, without the need to eat a meal, does not satisfy the “ancillary to a meal” requirement of the law.
For example: A person has half an hour to kill before catching his bus home. He enters a licensed venue and purchases a bottle of wine, of which he only consumes two glasses before having to leave. The law says he cannot take the remainder of the bottle with him when he leaves the venue.
However, if he had ordered a meal with his bottle, he would have been able to take the unfinished portion of wine with him.

Which course is required to be undertaken to achieve the required level of training to be able to serve alcohol responsibly?

The course required is the "Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol" course with the code SITHFAB201. A link to our course can be found here

Who is the authority responsible for liquor licensing and other issues related to the responsible service of alcohol?

If you are looking for the authority responsible for the liquor industry in your state or territory please visit the "State Authorities and Regulators" page found here